Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Mask Making

When trying to come up with ideas for preschool lessons, I try to integrate with what they are studying in their classes or what is going on in the world around us.  Since today was Mardi Gras, I decided to go with the idea of mask making.  Little kiddos LOVE masks and pretending, so I knew they'd love this lesson.

I tried finding a child friendly video on Mardi Gras on YouTube, but either they were adult oriented videos or they were........well.........dull.  I did find one cute video on animals wearing masks.  I linked to it on the following post.  I ended up not mentioning the current holiday and just went with "masks."  (So much for tying in with what's going on in the world.  Oh well.)

The kids loved the video and begged to watch it twice.  I pointed out the different types of masks in the video and we talked about what we saw.

Prior to their arrival, I had cut out big eye holes in paper plates.  The children painted the plates however they wanted.  Next week we will add other goodies.  Glitter?  Feathers?  Streamers?  Shiny papers?  We'll see what I can find around that looks fun to add.
I'll add photos of the finished work next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment